WCHS Depot Fund
Salem’s role in the 1847 organization of the railroad that served much of the state of Indiana is commemorated at The Depot, the railroad museum at the John Hay Center. Memorabilia devoted to the New Albany & Salem Railroad and the Monon Railroad and a large HO scale model depicting the Monon through Washington County in the period of 1957-1964 are main features of the museum.
Funded with grants and donations, The Depot was constructed by students from Salem and Eastern High School who were members of the Building Trades Class at Prosser School of Technology, New Albany. During the two years of construction, 39 students were involved in the project.
The Depot is owned by the Washington County Historical Society and is operated by volunteers. Operational expenses are covered by donations, admissions, gift shop income and rentals for meetings, receptions, etc.
The WCHS Depot Fund was established to help cover operating and maintenance expenses. The fund was started with donations from Bob Boggs, Jack and Carol Mahuron, Cecil and Martha Smith, Roger and Sarah Voyles, and Robert and Clarice Morris.