WCCF is Offering Scholarships to Non-Traditional Students
The Washington County Community Foundation is now offering scholarships to non-traditional students through its Education Matters initiative. The deadline for applications is October 3, 2019 by 3:30 PM.
Education Matters is a regional undertaking organized by the community foundations that serve Washington, Scott, Harrison, Clark and Floyd counties to try to increase the number of working adults in our region who started but never completed some form of post-secondary education – education that extends beyond high school.
You might be surprised to learn that in Southeast Indiana, only 25% of our workforce has an associate’s, bachelors or professional degree, compared to 38% nationally. Yet one in four of our community’s adult workers has earned some college credits! That’s over 3,100 people in Washington County! For whatever reason, they started but never completed their post-secondary education. This represents a tremendous amount of untapped potential in our community.
The following criteria have been established for scholarships:
- Annual awards will not exceed $3,000 the first twelve months and $5,000 per person in any subsequent twelve month period.
- Scholarship applicants must be a minimum of 28 years old as of the date of application.
- Only individuals who can demonstrate continuing legal residence in Washington County for at least the past five years are eligible. Documentation such as tax forms, housing receipts, or utility bills will be used to verify residency and/or household income.
- Scholarship awards may be used for tuition, course-related fees, or books only. Checks will only be written to an educational institution or certified training provider.
- The application deadline is October 3, 2019. No exceptions.
- Adult scholarship awards may not be used to pay for college debt.
- Subsequent awards will only be considered for students maintaining at least a 2.5 GPA.
Call the Washington County Community Foundation office at 883-7334 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application or for more information.
The mission of the Washington County Community Foundation is to engage people, build resources and strengthen our community.